I love food and I love cooking. We eat quite healthily in our house, I’m proud to say I have one of those strange 4 year olds who loves avocados, fish and asparagus. I do however, a bit like Nigella, like the good stuff. The creamy, the buttery, all the better in my opinion. I often cook with creme fraiche.
So when Total yoghurt asked me if I would like to participate in the #TryTotal challenge, I agreed. I was very interested to hear that cooking with yoghurt can be a great alternative to using cream, mayo or creme fraiche and of course much healthier for you.
I was sent a wonderful package of ingredients and a recipe card for Jumbo Spiced Chickpea Burgers. Yum yum! So I set to work to recreate and as I like a little cooking challenge, add my own twist to these delicious sounding burgers.
The preparation time was around 15 mins and the cooking time around 10 so it was a great, quick recipe to create for a speedy dinner or lunch with friends. This recipe will make 4 large burgers.
For the burgers you will need:
- 4 tbsp Total Greek yoghurt – classic
- 75g torn bread
- 2 x 400g cans of chickpeas (drained)
- 25g basil
- 3 tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- A pinch of chilli flakes
To serve you will need:
- 125g Total Greek Yoghurt
- Handful of basil
- Baby spinach leaves (2 large handfuls)
- 2 tsps of Moroccan spices
- 4 ciabatta rolls lightly toasted
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- Sliced tomatoes
To make the burgers:
- Put the breadcrumbs in a food processor and whizz into crumbs.
- Add chickpeas, basil, tomato paste, yoghurt, garlic and chilli.
- Season and whizz up in food processor till coarse and chopped.
- Shape into burgers.
- Fry in a large frying pan on medium heat for 5 mins on each side or until golden brown and piping hot all the way through.
To create the topping:
- Chop or tear the basil into pieces.
- Mix with yoghurt, moroccan spices and baby spinach leaves.
- Cook the portobello mushrooms in the oven for about 10 mins.
- Place burgers inside the bun, top with portobello mushrooms, yummy yoghurty creation and a slice of tomato.
Then devour! So so GOOD! So many delicious flavours :) mmmmmm! Thank you for the fantastic inspiration and showing me just how versatile Total Yoghurt is. It’s definitely going to become a weekly addition to my shopping list.